Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Assertive

I am off on a training day to learn how to be assertive. In this job so far I have improved on being a Minutes Secretary, learned how to be appraised, how to get ahead in management (I haven't) and how to deal with people "on the front line", as separate from the more practical software and regulations training that I have to do periodically. I quite like these training sessions, they're a good opportunity for a nap and they have hot and cold running tea and biscuits. Despite my tendency to nap, however, I tend to ace them. I've always been good in classroom situations, I'm not afraid to look stupid and put my hand up and I'm quite good at pretending to be assertive in a controlled situation. But that's not really the point. I'm going to come out of today still rather afraid of confrontations and unable to stop my lip from wobbling when forced to remain assertive. My own physical inability to keep from crying in difficult situations (happy, sad, angry, frustrated=tears) isn't going to go away after one day. I once started crying when asking a housemate to be more considerate about bathroom usage at Uni. I am a big wuss. Looking at the programme for today, though, I am quite looking forward to the "Group Brag" - self-esteem, compliments and praise. The ego will be pleased.

Fitness update: I tried Hot Cycling on Monday and ached yesterday but am now miraculously pain-free after Aquafit and swimming yesterday. I just wish the Aquafit tutor would think up some new jokes as the jokey "four left: four, three, two, what comes after two? One and three quarters, that's right. One and a half, etc, etc" which she does for each exercise starts to wear a bit thin.

No comments: