Friday, March 10, 2006

Horror Fan

The plan is to watch The Hills Have Eyes tonight. I've never seen the original so I'm looking forward to it. I never quite managed to make myself see the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre because I loved the original and because it was directed by Michael fricking Bay (you want to hear me get soapbox-y, ask me about Michael Bay, the world's most moronic director). MuleBoy, despite enjoying the genre as well, doesn't understand the Texas Chainsaw Massacre thing as he thinks I'm sick for finding it funny. Now, the film starts off just plain scary, you've got your shots of graveyard desecrations, then your build-up of tension and unease, and then Leatherface starts attacking. However, once the man in the wheelchair gets killed, it all starts getting a bit silly in a blackest of black humours kind of way. The blond heroine's run through the wood followed by man with chainsaw is all very Acme-esque, bringing up images of Roadrunner and Wile E Coyote and the use of sound is hilarious. The sequence where the heroine is tied up and absolutely terrified at the dinner table is scarier because of the humour. She screams and they mock her by screaming back at her; she's waiting to be killed by the mummified grandfather who can barely hold the murder weapon; Leatherface has put lipstick on. It's all so unsettling and weird that laughing is the natural reaction. The end, once you've come through the ordeal, is still my second favourite horror ending after Psycho as there aren't any other horror heroines who looked so completely traumatised. Although I approve of the smarter heroines who fight back etc, I can't help feeling that if I went through what they tend to go through in these films, I would be bloodied and laughing insanely in the back of a pick up truck too. Not for me the witty comeback and the cool, final gunshot to the baddy's head. Tonight's film doesn't look like a laugh-riot but I really fancy Slither (2006), which looks very sick but also quite funny and has the tightpanted Nathan Fillion in a starring role. This is a golden time for all horror lovers as studios are realising how little these films cost and how much money they make. Look out for Hostel and Reeker as well (unless you're Herself, in which case run for the hills).

Thank you to Herself for providing encouraging words to help me along in my quest for better fitness and all over health. And enough people (Herself, Big Sis and Drunken Accomplice) have said that sports clothes don't count for me to be reassured that the clock is still ticking and is nearly at 2 months on the no-clothes ban. I would also like to recommend the sports bra I got, which is a Shock Absorber one. It's awesome, I'm a D cup and there is no movement when I'm wearing it. I was jumping up and down in the changing rooms, trying to get it to move and there was nothing. It made Boxercise easier yesterday (I managed about 5 Burpees compared to the zero Burpees I did last week), although I still need to fix my glasses more firmly as they've been threatening to fall off. You get one unnecessarily bouncing thing fixed, and realise you need to stop another.

Well, I'm off to get myself mentally prepared for the Paintballing and Shag Party tomorrow (for the uninitiates, Shag is a stag/hen combination party rather than what you're thinking of, you naughty uninitiate!) I may cry, I will bruise but I also hope to kick some arse.

No comments: