Friday, June 19, 2009

You Won't Like Me When I'm Angry...

Seriously, I'm starting to worry that I'm going completely mental. The amount of anger I seem to be able to conjure at a moment's notice, which wrongly implies that I have some modicum of control over the situation, is quite extraordinary. I switched from being amused to being irate within about two minutes last night. I get annoyed at people - on the phone with people asking stupid questions at work, I snap from patience to irritation as soon as someone asks me the same question twice - and there are a couple of things that are in the process of making my blood really boil outside of work. These are things that I am backing away from because I am not the best person to deal with them and am trying to be all grown up but this makes me feel all ineffectual and instead of doing something about it, I get annoyed in private which is not good for the Anger, which wants to make itself heard. But, as annoyed as all this gets me, the main reason I suddenly flipped last night was that the idea of making conversation made me want to run for the hills, which I then did. I was quite glad I wore my trainers but I've got to get a new bag as mine flaps about a bit once I put on "speed". You know, when I "run". Anyway, so running away from a large group of people consisting of family, friends and people I know (I was quite amused that Murray in Flight of the Conchords has a friendship chart. I do think of people as categories - acquaintance, friend etc but mine tends to be based on a) whether I like them and b) if I do like them, whether they have made it obvious that they like me and, preferably, call me their friend. Maybe even write it down somewhere, like a legal document. I am terrified of assuming friendship where someone else sees only "someone I know". This goes hand in hand with the way that I will spot someone I know, possibly even a friend, in public and will then pretend I haven't so that I don't have to be the one that says hello just in case I'm ignored or they really didn't want to talk to me. Have I mentioned that I have issues?) is quite an odd thing to do. Maybe the problem I'm having is that I am naturally someone who wants to talk about everything as I feel it and the fact that there are many things I am currently stifling makes it really hard to sustain normal conversations so I'm avoiding it. Jeez, that actually makes sense. So what do I do about it now? Answers on a postcard.

No comments: