Thursday, April 13, 2006

P O'd

I am annoyed. I have many plans in motion for this evening, involving being dressy and going out for dinner with Mr and Mrs Drunken Accomplice. Drunken Accomplice and I have rambled through several emails about wanting to be classy and pretty this evening. So imagine my dismay when I woke up this morning to find the evil demon impetigo had surfaced on my top lip. It was brewing last night but I hoped it would go away. Even when I was awoken by a dull throbbing in that area at 2.30 in the morning, I prayed it would not be true. But alas and alack, it is. As it is the fourth year that I have suffered from this affliction (it started September 2002 and has popped up every so often), I ended up going to my local drop-in clinic and telling the nurse that, yes, it may look like a cold sore but it is definitely impetigo. The second time I had it I went to the pharmacy at Boots and was told by the pharmacist that it was definitely a cold sore and I should just put Zovirax on it, which I did, causing my top lip to swell to the size of a golf ball (if it hadn't been my lip, it would have been funny). Now I wouldn't mind if it was anywhere else but I have a problem with stuff on my face. It's gross and embarrassing. People do double takes as I pass. It's understandable as the infection that causes impetigo is all straptococci-ish and therefore springs from nose and throat, so it is natural that the blessed thing roosts in the meeting ground between the two. I just wish it wouldn't.

My only consolation is that the antibiotics I have to take don't get messed up with alcohol, so if I can't be pretty, at least I can be drunk.

In other news, I looked at the dress and have gone off it so that fever has abated but I still bought some trousers and a Matthew Williamson jacket in the sales. So cute! And ridiculously cheap - from £90 original price together to £22. It's like I've made £68.

2 comments:

Alice said...

Thank you for commenting - it's good to know that one can make a difference in this difficult, impetigo-carrying world.

But I hope it's cleared up a bit now and the hangover isn't too bad. At least we have another bank holiday coming up soon!

Anonymous said...

Would it make you feel better to know that I genuinely didn't notice it at all (and no, that wasn't just due to the alcohol, nor the fact that I wasn't wearing glasses!). Things always feel massive when they are on you (like the current spot that is obliterating my face) but very little when observed by anyone else. And all that aside, I had a lovely time - can we do it again soon please?!