Thursday, January 12, 2006

losing the ability to speak

I have noticed a worrying trend in my ability to speak coherently to other people. The trend being that I seem unable to do it. It isn't exactly new but it is annoying. Part of it is that I will start saying one word and then halfway through change it to another for no apparent reason. Or I'll say one word but mean to say something else. Once at a family party I was asked what drink I wanted and I said icecream. I thought I was saying lemonade but ended up saying icecream about three or four times, getting more and more annoyed. Last night I tried to tell someone that I wasn't feeling very coherent and ended up saying cohesive, which obviously was still true. But I find it really weird. It's like there's some essential connection missing between the part of my head that thinks up extremely witty repartee and the part that governs my mouth. I think speed has a lot to do with it; if I write it down, I can communicate better because I have time and I can correct it afterwards but speaking well is often something that eludes me.

If you've seen me speak in front of a number of people, then you will have seen my strange little way of talking that involves me correcting myself and rambling and using strange word choices. It almost looks intentional now but it is really just my way of governing the discrepancy between mouth and brain. I guess it's why I like acting, I only have to worry about the how rather than the what. I can do that.

No comments: