Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Going well?

Last night the MuleBoy (stubborn as...) and I had our first stand-up-and-walk-about rehearsal of a play we're directing together. I think this is going to be quite a test of the relationship, especially as I can occasionally forget to let go of being in charge.

Mantra for the day: I must not be an unbearable, bossy, control-freak.

Last night was good, however, and I started to get excited for the first time about this directing malarkey. I think that one of the actors is going to drive me mad though. We started off the rehearsals with the note that we were just going to block entrances and exits and some movements, and we didn't expect any acting. Then this guy, I'll call him Penfold, kept adding little bits of direction to the other actors throughout. I know it's our first time but if we want that sort of support we'll ask for it. He may have to be sat upon forcefully if this continues.

Yesterday, I complained to my sister that I hadn't done any Christmas cards yet (I know, I know - every year I leave it until the last minute!) and she offered to include me and the Mule in her cards. I thought that sounded kind of insane, she has a compulsion to be nice and helpful to everyone and occasionally takes it too far. I had to explain to her that sometimes I just want to complain and don't necessarily need her to provide a solution. I think I offended her but given as my first response was to call her insane, I think she got off lightly.

No comments: