Tuesday, September 25, 2007

But a Good One

Okay, so Sturbridge has completely redeemed itself today. Despite being a community overly reliant on cars meaning that there is no real bustle or pedestrian traffic in Sturbridge proper, a bit down the road from my little industrial park bit of it, it manages to be most things I would expect. I had fun exploring it yesterday, it has a little theatre which is extremely random. It calls itself a repertory theatre but as I walked in on a Sunday afternoon there was a show going on and the next show won't be starting until Friday. I'm quite gutted to be missing the Halloween spectacular running the week after which is a stage version of Night of the Living Dead. I would contemplate returning to Sturbridge for a night just to see that! The rest of Sturbridge was mainlymade up of touristy shops, which were lovely as they emphasised antiques and primitives. My personal favourite was a shop that advertised "Gently Used Clothing" and had a little homemade pumpkin that I'm going to buy for myself and something for Big Sis to redeem the whole Enchanted-Forest-being-closed-down fiasco when I go back on Wednesday. I got back to the hotel and had some Rice Krispies for tea because I didn't want to go out and because the food in the hotel is just bad. I watched the finale of So You Think You Can Dance which took me up to midnight and then went to bed.

Today and tomorrow I had decided to devote to Old Sturbridge Village because you get a two-day pass and what a great decision that was. I had an absolutely wonderful day there today. The weather has been lovely; sunny and hot with a lovely breeze and the trees are starting to turn so there'll be a sea of green that'll be broken up with a spectacular red maple. It was quiet but not dead in OSV and the fact that it was a 19th Century village meant that people were actually walking places. I found out how to fire a musket, how to dip a candle, how to use a printing press, met some oxen, learned about schools in Massachusetts, tried some fudge, bought me a bonnet and a fife (I must stop myself from completely whimsical shopping) and rode on a riverboat. I spent about six hours there, enjoying the scenery and the company of the re-enacters, shopkeepers and craftspeople who were all very willing to talk about the museum and their own lives. Two of the men that I spoke to were semi-retired and I was wistful on behalf of my parents that there couldn't be somewhere like this for them to work, they would love every second of it.

This evening I went to the Publick House, which was mentioned in one of the recipe books in the museum giftshop as one of the best traditional inns in New England. I found my way there after getting directions from a girl on the desk at the hotel who clearly doubted my ability to get there in under a day without a car. It was less than a mile to get there, American perspective is very skewed. I did get nervous on my way back because it was dark and I'm on my own but I think that's reasonable. I'm most nervous of the traffic, though, my head keeps wanting to turn English-way and I have to force myself to look the other way so every crossing takes twice as long because I have to factor in being extra-specially sure that I am safe before I go. It was totally worth it as the food was excellent, the atmosphere was great and the service was lovely. They even gave me a doggybag of freshly baked bread and anyone who gives me free bread is... sod it, can't think of anything. I like bread a lot so it's definitely a good thing.

So I'm feeling very positive although am concerned that the talking to myself thing is getting a bit out of hand. It's something I generally do when on my own but have started doing it in public for lack of any other companions. I may have diverged completely into two separate personalities by the time I get back!

p.s. Thank you, Anonymous, for your comment. Do I know you outside of the bloggy world? I am curious. But I really appreciated everything you said, particularly the offer of violence. It's tempting but I think MuleBoy's got it bad enough as it is at the moment. For a start, he hasn't been able to go to New York so he's kicking himself at the very least.
p.p.s. Thanks also to Marion, I haven't been able to publish your second comment due to the phone number but I have written it down and will take you up on it if I have any probs.
p.p.p.s. Everyone is very lovely, thanks for reading this blog. It really feels like a lifeline at times.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm Warm, fresh bread rolls.

It is 02:55 here and I am at least four and a half hours away from the prospect of breakfast after my night shift finishes!

At least Scotts bakery is near where I live so I can get warm rolls later...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevorhare/195410160/

Corrigan47 said...

I think Anonymous might be Trevor Hare,who is Jill Duncan,s brother and used to belong to the Bench. We used to transport him about in the back of Ingrid,s nappy smelling Clubman.

We are so relieved to hear about the good side of Sturbridge especially OSV. We would love to be re enactors. We read your latest posting in steamy hot Seville before going for our eening meal. Talking to oneself is the only way to have a decent conversation as your mother can tell you from bitter experience. Adios for now XXXXXXXX

Anonymous said...

Hope you took photographs of the Oxen. There's something especially cool about oxen. Were they yoked??
(What does that even mean anyway? It's just a thing that Oxen should be)
Please keep with the updates.
x

Anonymous said...

Phew! So glad it turned out to be loveliness in the end! I was waiting with baited breath! We do have one of those ye olde village-y type things near to here that your lovely Ma and Pa can work in! I went to it when I was younger and LOVED it... tis voluntary though, so no financial insentive - but it looks like enormous fun all the same. I shall try and find the details...ooooh.... I feel a bench trip coming on! :)

And what about that place giving away bread in doogy bags - GENIUS! Take note please, English restaurateurs.

It is cold in England, just thought you might like to know.
Love love love
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Sad there was no show for you to see, we were lucky as we were able to find a live show, The Full Monty, americanised as redundant steelworkers in Baltimore, at the Ogunquit Playhouse. We were staying in New Hampshire so had to go down the coast to Maine for the show. It didn't finish until 10.30. We went back on the fast main road, but overshot and realised we were in Massachusetts! Finally arrived back at the hotel around midnight... but it was worth it as it was a great show.
Yesterday got up rather late and drove up to the beginnings of the lakes and mountains in Vermont, the trees are beginning to turn reds and golds. 2.30 we had a snack then all the way back home to Jo's, Roger of course doing all the driving. He says it is so easy driving here, wouldn't stop even for coffee and we arrived back here 8.15. It sounds mad, but even the main highways are scenic around here and the car is very comfy. Weather still glorious...