Friday, September 14, 2012

"Right"


My Mum has this thing that she does. She's never been particularly good at just sitting down and doing nothing. I have probably mentioned before (I could verify this by checking through all my blogs but man, for someone who doesn't blog very much, there are an awful lot to look through when you just want to find mention of a single anecdote) about the reason why I don't do ironing except on very special occasions, primarily like when I don't want to look like a complete bag lady. More often than not I am content with bag lady-ness and will forego the ironing because it is like death. Anyway, the main reason for feeling like this is that the only way I could justify watching the entire programming on Channel 4 on Sundays when I was a teenager (to whit: Dawson's Creek, Hollyoaks Omnibus and As If) was by doing the ironing for the entire family. I was aware that for the majority of my friends they were able to just sit and watch this essential viewing, none of which I can tolerate for more than five minutes now, but for me, I had to justify it. It's like when I wanted to listen to the Radio 1 chart in the afternoons; I had to make the roast dinner at the same time. It was never really a big deal and everyone was similarly busy: Mum and Dad would be doing schoolwork (as teachers. In case there was any confusion. I just read that and it looked weird) and Zoe would generally be doing something productive somewhere. I assume she was. Wait, what was Zoe doing? Thinking about it, this may well have been a routine that started after she'd left for Uni in which case she would have been in her pyjamas and legitimately being lazy but it would have been in a different city, in which case, fair play to her. She was always better at playing the system than me. I still tease her for the fact that she managed to avoid washing up after the roasts on a Sunday by having suspiciously long toilet trips. She is a stealth rebeller, that girl.

Where was I? Oh yes, ironing. No. That was merely an example. Wait, yes; my mother's inability to be lazy. She's got far more relaxed since retiring but she's still not particularly good at just sitting. If there's something on her mind, we'll sit down and have a chat or a cup of tea and once that's done, she will say the word "right". There is no way of conveying this successfully on the page but she says it with such resolution that, despite how cosy you may be, how much you are enjoying the current chat, you will find yourself on your feet. There is a power to the way my mother says "right". To be honest, it should always have a capital "R". It looks wrong otherwise.

Recently, I have had a definite sense of that particular "Right" popping up in my own head. There are certain things that I've been clinging on to that just aren't very good for me. There are plans that I am actually forging ahead with (more on these when there's something definite to tell you. I mean, the number of times I've talked about namby-pamby not-quite plans that haven't happened. It's annoying for me to read back on them and you must all despair of me) and things that I have been encouraged to do in an attempt to let go of certain things that have been holding me back.

Number one at the moment is to try and think less about Mr P. I've been completely obsessed and it's just pointless. He's happy with his life and I need to accept that and not be sitting around waiting for something to change in that respect. Until I'm cool with just being his friend, I need to stop talking to him because every conversation makes me feel sad and wistful, which is old ground for me and I need to stop doing it to myself.

Not Mr P is also not going to happen. We've got a mutual friend who I think is going to drive me mad as she is more desperate for it to work than either of us. He's being foisted on me, although I'm sure it's even worse the other way 'round, and all I'm doing is noticing how much I do not fancy him. He's alright as a person but, wow, am I not interested. Not that she hears me. We had a conversation recently about a job opening and she was telling me for about an hour how brilliant she thought I'd be at that job and how I should go for it, despite me trying to communicate how much I didn't want to do it and how it would actually be a pay downgrade for me. Listening is not one of her skills, is my point.

The most worrying thing is that I'm actually finding it quite difficult to sit and do nothing. For this reason I am actually getting to a level of, I don't want to call it competence, that would most certainly be overstating it, um, imagine the barest modicum of musical ability and that's me on the ukulele. Contextually, though, I would like to remind you that I played the violin for six years as a child without reaching Grade 1. The fact that I have managed to master a few chords and sing along with them WITHOUT LESSONS is, for me, an enormous achievement. I do have to rename the instrument itself though. It was originally my Blue-kulele but I have recently reached the conclusion that it's black. I'm sure it was blue...

I did spend last weekend almost entirely in my lounge in front of the TV but, being short of money, had decided to make a couple of birthday presents so spent Saturday stitching felt triangles to a cord for bunting and spent Sunday trying to work out how to make a costume for a small child without measuring anything or using patterns (this is quite tricky). I was knackered by Sunday night and have spent the small amount of time I've had to myself this week really unable to relax. I just keep feeling like there's something I should be doing.

I might be turning into my Mum a little bit.



2 comments:

Finch said...

That's not a bad thing. Your mum is brill.

Alice said...

Agreed.