Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I Aten't Dead

Hello. I spoke Mrs Funny Whistler last night who said that she was concerned due to my lack of posting recently. So this is a brief note to confirm that I'm okay. Big sighs of relief all round, I know.

I was off sick last week which meant that I don't have much access to a computer, my home one being booked by MuleBoy permanently for Fantasy Football, MySpace and the occasional essay writing. If I want to use it, I have to undergo a ferocious cross examination and produce a stamped and signed permission slip on request. It's just too much work for a simple post. This week I have been trying to catch up after being off sick for a week which has been a pain, especially considering I'm picking up work for a colleague who's now on holiday for six months (or maternity leave. The one thing that makes me want to get impregnated, especially now it's nine months).

In other news, last night I was talking to Beanie about a part in a play I had really wanted but hadn't got and sounded stupid when he was trying to explain why I hadn't got it. The thing is, I know why I haven't got it and I know that it isn't really about me but about what the director wanted, something I understand even more since directing myself. I understand the reasoning behind it and may have done the same in a similar situation. However, fundamentally, and I know there are actors reading this who can appreciate it, it is always a rejection. I can hear reasons and explanations, even compliments about my audition. But the only thing you really feel is the no.

Well, that's a patchy little post. I promise to do better next time.

3 comments:

Cracked Actor said...

In what way did you sound stupid? Perhaps it is something about my general demeanour which means I make people feel stupid when I speak to them. I just wanted to relay the reasons for your rejection that John gave me.
Believe me, I know it is futile to alleviate a rejected actor's sense of rejection at not having been cast. One's ego tends to cover its ears and go "la la la la", making one deaf to any explanation that does not include phrases such as "Actually you were crap and should consider giving up the whole acting lark for good."
Fortunately, no-one has actually said those words to me (or anyone I know) so it is more likely that people have less personal and more understandable reasons for not casting actors.
Still bites though. Sorry I won't be sharing the boards with you for this one.

Anonymous said...

Nice to have you back Kitten! I was worried for a while there! As for that not being cast malarkey, it's probably coz the Gods know that it'd be a far better idea for you and I to form a double act and tour round the world spreading happiness and laughter (or thoughtful musings , for our more serious material) wherever we go. First step Havant Arts Centre, next step THE WORLD!! Let's get writing.... ;)

Anonymous said...

Talking to Beanie makes me feel a bit stupid sometimes 'cause he uses big words in clever ways and 'specially about theatre 'cause he knows almost everything.
Sorry you didn't get the part... but if it's the part I think it was at least you won't have to work with mr really-really-annoying-director. (Wouldn't it be nice if actors got to reject directors in the same way as the directors reject actors. Just not showing up for an audition doesn't have quite the same effect!!)

Plan something else...
Herself
(PS I was glad to hear you're still alive)