Monday, September 25, 2006

Mo' Money

The heading is a reference to a film that I've never seen and which I remember primarily for the accompanying theme tune sung by Janet Jackson and Luther Vandross. In retrospect, it heralds the coming of the apocalypse starring, as it does, the Wayans Brothers. Admittedly the lead is Damon Wayans who is less evil than his brothers Shawn and Marlon who are responsible for Little Man (in cinemas now, run and hide), White Chicks and the Scary Movie franchise. These movies make these particular film makers (they write them too, dontcha know) as high up in my "I wish they didn't have a career" list as Michael Bay, Paul W S Anderson, Martin Lawrence and Renee Zellweger post-Nurse Betty. Damon, I can put up with for having starred in a Spike Lee film, albeit one that I didn't particularly like, and for not being involved in his brothers' output. Well played, Damon, well played.

That was a surprising detour considering that this was meant to be a post about the job that I applied for recently. I've been having that "stuck in a rut" feeling and have been applying for jobs that would be a big change, especially in the improving my finances department. This means that I have been applying for jobs quite a way above my experience level. However, I have had good feedback for my applications and managed to get an actual interview for one post. I got excited when I was shown what could be my office, which had but one workstation in it and a surprisingly pretty view but in the end this turned out to be more of an "and this is what you could have won" situation as I didn't get the job itself. Again, positive feedback but no actual job.

I had really mixed feelings about it, though. At one stage this weekend I considered the possibility that I may get offered the job and entertained the idea of turning it down and telling everyone that I just didn't get it. Obviously, that didn't happen because I wouldn't confess to it if I'd done it but the idea was there. I almost wished that I had done worse in interview so that there was no chance I'd get offered it. I fear change, basically. I would have said yes because I couldn't have turned down the money but I would have been shitting myself. It takes me a while to adjust to the idea of doing something new and even longer to convince myself that I can do something that I haven't already proved to myself I can do. My need for security, which I was explaining to Herself yesterday, extends to much more than my need to know where the money's coming from.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you, you are much smarter/more creative/capable than you give yourself credit for.
Get everyone who knows you to write down 3 reasons why they like you and pin them on the fridge to look at every day.
Here are 3 to get you started from me...
1/ Alice always wears cool clothes that are absolutely in her own style and so looks really 'put together' and completely comfortable with who she is.
2/ Alice knows EVERYTHING about film but doesn't mind that I know NOTHING and it's never too much trouble to explain and she never lacks enthusiasm or sounds fed up with my ignorant questions. (of which there are sometimes many)
3/ Alice was a good director because she watched and listened and thought as well as knowing what she wanted, so her feedback was based on what you were really doing and sensitively given as well as helping you along to a better performance.
Maybe we should all write down 3 nice things for all of our friends to make the world a bit more of a positive-thinking place?

Anonymous said...

Three things is easy! Only three things is hard!
1) She makes me laugh, lots! I love people who can make me laugh. There's sometimes not enough to smile about in the world and anyone who can make you forget your cares and grin is a wonderful person to have around.
2) I love to hear her sing. Her love of singing is obvious and infectious and she should do it more!
3)She is the only other person I know who can read a book while walking down the street! This is a great and incredible talent and worthy of much praise and admiration.
There you go, three things amidst the thousands of nice things that could have been, and I'm sure will be said!!!

Anonymous said...

And for more general cheer and joy ...

1) Alice has the most beautiful hair ever, I am violently jealous of its lovely colour and thickness and natural curl and live in hope of developing similar proper hair (as opposed to the balding "comb-over" which currently adorns my head).

2) Alice was one of the first people down here to genuinely be my friend (as opposed to being my friend just because I was going out with Neil and therefore was part of a package deal!) and has happily put up with many hours of my egotistical ramblings and general madness.

3) Alice has the best singing voice of anyone I know (and that includes all the X Factor wannabees I spent far too much time with at drama school), it is incredibly rich and fabulously versatile and if I could sing even half as well I would be a very very happy lady.

Agree with Robin entirely, you are fantastic and you should give yourself credit for it. Love yourself, dammit!!

Much love, Mrs DA

Anonymous said...

I have also decided I want to leave nice comments in regards to Herself ...

1) Herself is the most organised person I know; even if I plan a dinner party round my house and have failed to provide my guests with any food, Herself is guaranteed to arrive with some gorgeous home-made goodies which would put any cooking attempts of mine to shame!

2) Herself has THE most fabulous shoe collection known to man; not only that, she is happy to lend various items out (almost unknown with most other good shoe collectors!) - all hail great shoe collector of the gods!

3) Herself is one of the most warm and genuine people I know, she is so open, welcoming and friendly that I honestly cannot imagine anyone feeling uncomfortable in her presence - plus the fact that she is gorgeous to boot! Damn my many very lovely friends, some of you should have the decency to wear bags on your heads to make me feel better, dammit!

Anyways, much love, Mrs DA xxx