Friday, June 23, 2006

Dear Diary Room

Now, I have omitted to tell you all about the Mule and me and our current need to watch Big Brother. As I have claimed several times recently, I haven't been this hooked since series 1, although I remember watching the big fight of a couple of years ago with fascinated horror (still the Mule's favourite BB moment). I don't know why it is more watchable this year but my main justification is that I can actually identify with some of the people. I don't think I am like anyone in there but I have definitely met them before in certain incarnations. Grace, the nationally hated girl, is the one that I went to school with that I loved and hated in equal measure. Capable of cruelty but also the embodiment of what I wanted to be aged 13-16, she was the most popular and, if not exactly the prettiest, she was definitely attractive and comfortable with herself (which was definitely something that the rest of us lacked). Part of why I think the BB audience hates her is because they all knew that girl too. Obviously Grace was bitchy and two-faced, but I think the fact that she owned up to it and didn't try to make excuses was quite impressive. However, she is still reviled because she didn't seem too bothered about the fact that people hated her but what is she supposed to do; break down in tears, break into the house and apologise to everyone? Every time I have spent any time with a group of girls in a claustrophobic setting; school, college, halls of residence I have bitched, been bitched to and been bitched about. It's what we do.

Regardless, although I didn't mind Grace and feel the need to defend her because, let's face it, a 20 year old girl who could be a bit mean doesn't really deserve this level of hatred, my favourite housemate is Nikki. I know, I know, I'm a bit surprised too. I would have cheerfully throttled her in the first couple of weeks and especially after she entered the house in a bunny outfit. However, at some point this changed. I am sure that if I met her in person the need to throttle would return but, in a way that I can't really justify, I absolutely love her on BB. It's partly the way that she is ridiculously melodramatic, with her posturing and hairtossing and incredibly loud and idiosyncratic way of complaining but also the way that I really can't tell whether it's real or not. Earlier this week she was dancing and singing in the garden and got upset that the other housemates were complaining about it so she stormed off to the diary room. When she got in there, she started complaining than realised how stupid it was and started laughing at herself and her crap singing. MuleBoy was convinced she was an actress when she first went in and I really wouldn't be surprised if it was the case. She also reminds me of a very funny girl I know, who often does caricatures of people she knows or has met and Nikki could easily be one of these. I'm hoping I see Funny Girl on Sunday actually in order to request a "Nikki" although I can't imagine her and Mr Whistler watching BB so would probably just get a funny look.

My fascination with BB would probably end at the point when Nikki leaves, thoughink. Although the rest of the housemates are okay and I enjoy Glyn's songs and Pete's apologising when he's cross with someone (I can definitely relate to that), Nikki is the reason that I keep watching. So if she is evicted tonight then that will probably be the end of my current BB obsession. Next year, the Mule has stated he wants to apply so that would be a reason for obsession. Fear, horror and tension but definitely obsession.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»