Monday, February 18, 2008

Big Head May Cause Top-Heaviness

It's true. I am liable to fall over at any point. While I have many crazy little obsessions about myself; the hair in my nose for which MuleBoy did purchase me a nose trimmer (I bet New Variety Girlfriend has a completely hair-free nose), the backs of my ears which are particularly prone to dryness and soreness, and the enormity of my head, which makes me lament my difficulty in finding hats, this post today is about another kind of swollen-headedness than my big, got-it-from-my-dad-gee-thanks-dad-type-mutton-head.

I have been having a big happy ever since yesterday evening about the thoroughness with which I triumphantly kicked ass in class yesterday. And although it's a small scale victory, and, let's face it, it isn't like there were a series of points awarded and I got the most (although if there had been... yeah, yeah, you get the idea) it isn't exactly easily quantifiable. The thing is, that you can know you're good at something, and I do, which I don't think, in itself, is bigheadedness, it's really just accepting a fact about myself - crap at organisation, good at acting - but when you've only been doing it in a selected field you do wonder whether it is a translateable talent. Like, is this something that will be lessened by exposure in a new arena? So doing it well somewhere else and having my talent recognised is reassuring. And really, really nice. I may bounce around some more but, really, especially family members, let me know if it's getting annoying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite agree; it's only bigheadedness if (1) it's not true (i.e. you were rubbish at acting, which is clearly rubbish itself) or (2) You go on and on and on about how brilliant you are, which you clearly don't.
However you are quite brilliant and I hope others in a wider land are appreciating this. It must be scary wondering what the baseline is like out there in the big wide world, and I am glad you're being reassured in your assessment of your own gifts.
If it's allowed to make a teeny request could we have a bit more detail about what you get up to in these classes? It all sounds very interesting.
x
PS in case you are dreaming of being smug married, it may help to contemplate Himself and I enduring 2 hours of the psychology of substance abuse on Thursday evening, just to prove to ourselves that we know how to have a good time....

Siany-sian said...

I like when you talk about your acting classes. It sort of sounds like a surreal Stanislavski-style narration.

I bet she has a hugely hairy nose. And boogers too.